Friday, February 17, 2012

paper-covered journal

Looking for a way to give your favorite artist or writer a personalized journal? Try covering a plain composition notebook with their favorite scrapbook paper and adding some simple finishing touches, such as ribbon, flowers, buttons, or anything that would let the receiver know this was made for them.

I made this little journal for my own mom and asked her to fill it with her favorite childhood memories. It makes me happy everytime I'm there to see it sitting on her coffee table in her family room. She just jots down a few thoughts here and there as they come to her. Its a great way to preserve some of those precious family history moments.

Supplies:
  • composition journal
  • favorite scrapbook paper, cut to size
  • embellishments
  • mod podge glue
  • foam brush
  • hot glue gun

Directions:
  1. Using the mod podge, glue your scrapbook paper to the outside of your notebook.*
  2. Seal the outside with a layer of mod podge, making sure to re-enforce the edges.
  3. Let dry completely.
  4. Add any embellishments you like -interior ribbon place makers, personalization, etc.

*For an extra fancy finish, wrap the covers around the sides, and then cover with an additional piece of coordinating paper.

Linked to show & tell

2 comments:

  1. I have several journal-keepers in my family as well as a precious niece who keeps a diary. I'm going to use this tutorial to make them some pretty Christmas presents this year! Thanks for helping me whittle down my list early! I like your blog. I saw you over at The Delectable Home and am happily following you via GFC. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love the idea of giving this to your mom to write her memories! We love the stories that our parents tell and would like to preserve those for our children & their children. I am going to make several of these. I'm so glad to find your blog. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers. Thank you for your comment. No urls please.

09 10