Monday, May 7, 2012

cheese flautas and rice

Happy Monday!

I hope you had a good weekend. Ours was filled with Saturday soccer games, a piano recital, a Cinco de Mayo party, and some family room progress.

Since I knew the schedule was tight for this past weekend, I wanted to select something fast and easy to take to my friend's Cinco de Mayo party.

I've made these cheese flautas before, following the recipe exactly. This time around I modified it a bit, but got just as good results. And if you remember, Martha's my go to gal.

(I wanted to get a photo, but they were gobbled up too fast!)



Recipes modified from Martha Stewart


Ingredients


  • 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3/4 cup pepitas (green hulled pumpkin seeds)
  • 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, chopped
  • Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 8 corn tortillas (6-inch), softened by moistening and lightly toasting over a gas burner (turn with tongs)
  • 2 cups (6 ounces) grated Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1/4 cup peanut oil



  • Directions
    1. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a saute pan over medium-low. Cook garlic until golden, 1 minute. Add pepitas; cook, tossing, until toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Pulse to a paste in a food processor. Add cilantro, lime juice, and remaining olive oil; pulse until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Spread some pesto on a softened tortilla; top with cheese. Roll up; place seam side down. Cover with a damp kitchen towel. Repeat.
    2. Heat peanut oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Fry flautas in 2 batches, seam sides down, 1 minute. Using tongs, roll to brown evenly, cooking 1 minute more. Drain on paper towels, dabbing tops to remove excess oil.


    My Modifications
    • I minced my garlic, since I had my press handy and it goes in the food processor anyway.
    • I softened my tortillas by placing them in the microwave for 30 seconds. The tortillas will likely split if not softened first. (I don't have a gas stove this time around, so I didn't lightly toast them either.)
    • I used canola oil to fry, instead of peanut oil.
    • I used a Mexican blend of cheese, instead of just  Monterey Jack.



    Ingredients
    • 1 cup long-grain white rice
    • Coarse salt
    • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
    • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 1 garlic clove

    Directions
    1. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add rice and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cover, and reduce to a simmer. Cook until water is absorbed and rice is just tender, 16 to 18 minutes.
    2. Meanwhile, in a blender, combine cilantro, lime juice, oil, garlic, and 2 tablespoons water; blend until smooth. Stir into cooked rice, and fluff with a fork.

    My Modifications
    I cooked my rice in my rice cooker, then add the cilantro sauce. You can add more or less depending on how subtle you want the cilantro/lime flavor of your rice.

    I more than doubled each recipe, about 2.5 since I knew this would be a large group.

    How about you? Was your weekend jam packed as well? Or slow and relaxing?

    7 comments:

    1. These look delicious Laura! I love anything with cilantro! I was wondering if you eat them cold or did you warm them back up when you got to your party?

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi Laurie: I just came over and those flautas look wonderful and I will try them, but what I'm most interested is the rice. I make a spanish rice but it is so many ingredients and makes a ton, and just plain rice is so bland. I can't do anything without a recipe so this rice looks and sounds really good to me. Happy Monday..Judy

      ReplyDelete
    3. I can't wait to try that cilantro rice! Thanks so much for visiting my blog!I look forward to trying many or your recipes...

      sunnydalecottage.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    4. Hi! Stopping by to give you an award! http://chase-thestar.blogspot.com/2012/05/tell-me-about-yourself-award.html

      Barbara @ Chase the Star

      ReplyDelete
    5. Oh YUM!!! You're right! These are right up my street. So delicious looking. I'm going to have to make some soon. :D

      ReplyDelete

    I love hearing from my readers. Thank you for your comment. No urls please.

    09 10