Wednesday, May 9, 2012

outlet placement

A few weeks ago, my new blogger friend Lisa, of Lisa Mende Design, wrote one of the best design posts I have read in a long time. She commented on how we often go to great lengths to renovate our spaces, then fail to overlook something as simple as the outlets placement. This is most noticeable in the kitchen space, where smart outlet placement lends to increased work function and efficiency.

Lisa's post specifically addresses kitchen outlet placement. Her position is simple- great style and design can accomadate high function. Whether you are starting from scratch or retrofitting,  her post is complete with photographic examples of each design point.

As a someone who has plans/hopes (fingers crossed) of a kitchen remodel in the next few years, I'm filing away this one under key information to remember.

Lisa is an interior designer of 14 years and a master designer. Read her post and then c'mon back and let me know what you think. Have you considered outlet placement before or is it an "ah-ha" moment?

(Of course, feel free to leave Lisa some comment love too!)

Check it out!


4 comments:

  1. This is so true! We have lived in our home going on 20 years. I still have moments when I say, "what were they thinking" when looking at where some of the outlets were placed. For instance, the two biggest ???...in our home office there are double doors for the closet and on either side about a foot (if that ), one side is close to our bay window the other the door that leads out...what the heck would you put there? The room was originally on the floor plan as an extra bedroom on the main floor (the downstairs bath is next to it with an adjoining door), but we have always used it as an office. The other is an outlet they put behind the entry door to our laundry room. Our laundry room is TINY, have no idea what it would be used for, there isn't room for an iron, much less the board! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I agree with all of Lisa's tips on outlet placement. Great article...thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Laura! I appreciate your comments! I love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have blogged many times of my duress of the placement of outlets in our home, a 50s ranch. I think men decided and never ever thought of where you actually would be placing lamps and things. I hate cords showing.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers. Thank you for your comment. No urls please.

09 10